San Diego Flower Fields & Gardens
Each spring, San Diego's flower fields bloom into seas of beautiful colors while local institutions and horticulturalists create works of floral art.
ANZA-BORREGO DESERT STATE PARK
When: February - April
A spectacular display occurs annually in the 600,000-acre Anza-Borrego Desert State Park in San Diego's East County as colorful wildflowers bejewel the sun-scorched desert landscape. Since the phenomenon depends upon the timing and quantity of winter rains, the blossoms are at their peak for just two weeks. Guests are advised to call the Park's 24-hour "Wildflower Hotline" at 760.767.4684 before planning a tour of the desert flora.
THE FLOWER FIELDS OF CARLSBAD CALIFORNIA
When: March - May
A vibrant sea of giant ranunculus flowers transforms 50 acres of hills into rows of brilliant color. Stroll past oceans of flowers and through beautiful gardens, including a miniature rose garden, fragrant sweet pea maze, a garden featuring more than 50 All American Rose Selection winners and a spectacular display of red, white and blue flowers planted in the shape of a giant American flag.
When: All Year Round
Encompassing nearly 1,200 acres, Balboa Park is a magnificent cultural complex that includes seven major gardens:
- Botanical Building and Lily Pond - home to more than 2,100 permanent tropical plant specimens
- Japanese Friendship Garden of San Diego - eleven acres with trails, a bonsai exhibit, a moon viewing deck, beautiful black pine trees, azaleas and ornamental plants such as camellias, magnolia, wisteria and cherry blossom trees.
- Inez Grant Parker Memorial Rose Garden - voted by the World Rose Society as one of the top rose gardens in the world
- Zoro Garden - a sunken butterfly garden
- Palm Canyon - an oasis which contains 450 palms
- Desert Garden - 2.5 acres of succulents and drought-resistant plants from around the world
- Marston House Formal and Primitive Gardens - five acres of rolling lawns, manicured formal gardens and rustic canyon gardens
CORONADO FLOWER SHOW
When: April 21-22, 2018
The Coronado Flower Show is the largest tented flower show in the nation. Exhibits are placed inside tents surrounding a central gazebo, which becomes the stage for continuous entertainment, announcements and trophy presentations.
When: April 26-29, 2018
A loved and eagerly anticipated tradition, Art Alive at The San Diego Museum of Art in Balboa Park celebrates its 37th year and the stunning works of art on display in the Museum with more than 100 floral interpretations created by top local and national designers.
JULIAN WOMAN'S CLUB WILDFLOWER SHOW
When: May 4-6, 2018
A wonderful spring event, the Julian Woman's Club hosts their 91st annual Wildflower Show in the historical Julian Town Hall in San Diego's East County.